Saturday, October 21, 2006

Joys of Podcasting

I'm not sure if you're reading, so let me go on a random, semi-book-related tangent. I will continue to embarrass myself until you, gentle reader, talk to me or my cohorts by clicking on the comment links.

I'm not sure if you've explored the whole podcasting thing, but essentially it's like...internet radio. Kind of. Click through for a better definition. You subscribe to a podcast, open up iTunes (or something similar...I'm a Mac person so PC users will need to do a little research) and the podcasts update automatically for you. There are podcasts on every subject imaginable, but I like to focus on books and movies. I never remember to catch Ebert and Roeper on the TV, but at least I can hear an audio version of their program every week. Also...NPR. Specifically? NPR Books: "NPR book reviews, news and author interviews -- for people who love to read. The best of Morning Edition, All Things Considered and other award-winning NPR programs." Now I don't have to listen to NPR all day just to catch all the book information I crave. I will, on occasion, use it as a collection development tool, as I did when I ordered The Physics of Superheroes for our library.

How do you discover the books you like to read? What do you think about podcasting - does it confuse you? Delight you? Let us know! If you know of another good podcast that focuses on books, tell us all about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lately, I found many enjoyable books in your New 21-Day Loan section.

And at library book sales, obviously. :-)