Friday, January 05, 2007

What We're Watching: Stella Season One

Why this set of Stella is marked "Season One" I'm not entirely sure, though it gives me hope that this presumably cancelled show will once again grace the airwaves. Somehow, I doubt it. It's unique - you're either meant to love it or hate it, and I'm firmly in the first camp. It stars Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, and David Wain: three funny lads dressed in suits. It's really hard to describe why this show was so laugh-out-loud funny, but let me try to give some examples. In one scene, Michael Ian Black turns to a girl in a club and, in all seriousness, tells her "I love the 80s." (Black has been on pretty much every "I Love" decade on VH1, if not all of them). In another, the men pull out all the stops to get an apartment, which includes a choreographed dance number. (Did I mention that they all wore skunk tails to the meeting?) In yet another, the guys grow crops IN their apartment to raise money. (Bountiful crops rise up from their hardwood floors). This show was a winning combination of lowbrow comedy and high art. You owe it to yourself to check it out, as you probably missed it on TV.

Favorite quote: "We can't move... We're in a tableau."

No comments: