Friday, June 08, 2007

What We're Reading: The Invention of Hugo Cabret

I know what you're thinking. "I can't possibly read this book NOW! It's HUGE, and the final Harry Potter is due out next month!" True enough, but it's not as hopeless as it seems. While this hefty tome is over 500 pages, most of those pages are comprised of gorgeous black and white drawings. At times it felt less like reading a book and more like leafing through a portfolio of art; I sometimes caught myself checking my fingertips for smudges of graphite. I promise you that you haven't seen anything quite like it.

In The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Hugo is a young Parisian boy with a tragic past and an affinity for clocks and machines. One day he is shown a broken automaton with a pen in its hand. The mystery of what the tiny man can write becomes an obsession, and the answer will lead him on a journey to the magical days of early cinema. If you have a future director or film critic in the house, this would be a wonderful book to read together. I don't want to give too much away, so please check it out! It's a fantastically original tale.

No comments: