Friday, July 13, 2007

So long, farewell...


On this most unfortunate of days, Friday the 13th, the Burbank Library must say "goodbye" to a very special lady. Nancy Tidwell, the Reference Supervisor at the Central Library, will be retiring after 22 years of service for the City of Burbank. You have definitely seen her around - she's worked in every branch.

I remember when I moved from the Valley ("...of the Sun", Phoenix) to the Valley (San Fernando...) a couple of years ago. It was heartbreaking to leave behind my family and friends to step into the unknown. As I settled into my new town I began the intimidating interview process. The moment I walked into the administration office in Burbank, however, I felt a sudden and surprising feeling of home. While I was charmed by the fact that there was an IKEA down the street, I think it had more to do with the welcoming smile of my future boss, Nancy. She has never failed to be supportive and encouraging. I felt like I had successfully stepped into a new family. She will be missed by everyone - library visitors and staff - but thankfully she won't be gone completely. She'll be filling in at the branches as needed - and I imagine that will be often!

About ten minutes ago, Nancy came back to the desk, having changed out of her cute black dress from this morning's retirement breakfast and into a Rolling Stones shirt and jeans. And that's why we love her.

If you'd like to leave a comment about and for our dear friend Nancy, click on the "Comments" link below and I'll post it for you. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Photo: Nancy, left. Patrice, right, will be taking over for us in Reference. Rock on, girls!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're quick! What a nice thing to do.

John in NH said...

From 3,000 miles away: Big loss for Burbank! Nancy's a special person, an excellent librarian, a good friend. Time is still on your side, Nancy!!