Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Maybe I'm Jealous.

I'm having a hard time finding a book that can tear me away from the TV lately. Of course, it was recently brought to my attention that I went to high school with one of the geeks on this season of Beauty and the Geek. And, by golly, if it isn't true. Who needs Myspace when there's reality TV?

There's a book we just received, and I'm entirely frustrated because I want to like it. In One red paperclip : or how an ordinary man achieved his dreams with the help of a simple office supply, Kyle MacDonald details how he used Craigslist to make a series of trades, from a bright red paperclip to a HOUSE. That's nonfiction gold, people. I don't have a house. Then, I don't have a red paperclip either, so I'm doomed to failure in the bartering game. I suppose my unease with the book comes from its conversational nature. It is simple and direct, and lacking in pretty adjectives. HOWEVER, even though I'm not giving it the proper chance, I think someone out there might be looking for something like this. Is this book for you? If you're looking for a quick read and a creative premise, you may enjoy this book. The writing isn't poetic, but it's certainly jovial.

No comments: