Thursday, April 10, 2008

What We're Reading: Precious Blood

If you like Kathy Reichs or Patricia Cornwell, I have a new book you may enjoy: Precious Blood. It is the first novel by Jonathan Hayes, a forensic pathologist. The story is about Edward Jenner, a former NYC medical examiner. The work involved after 9/11 proved too much for him and he quit the ME's office. He is pulled back into this world when a young girl is found murdered and mutilated and a friend asks him to help. This is just the first in a string of horrific murders. Jenner and his old boss do not get along; of course, the fact that Jenner got this boss's girl doesn't help. This just adds more tension and secrets to the mix. As Jenner continues to investigate, he uncovers more than the NYPD is able to. Also adding to the drama is the fact that Jenner is now involved with the roommate of the first victim and the killer still wants her, the one that got away. I read this book in one day, which is something I haven't done in a long time. I am looking forward to Mr. Hayes' next book. He also writes for Gourmet, GQ, Food & Wine and other magazines. I'm curious what they're about. I'm not sure I'd want to eat his menu.

No comments: