Saturday, May 10, 2008

What We're Reading: The Digital Photography Book

The Digital Photography Book volumes 1 and 2 by Scott Kelby.

Someday I plan to really learn about lighting ratios and flash sync speed, but until then I’m treasuring The Digital Photography Book (vols. 1 and 2) by Scott Kelby. If you’ve ever seen a photo you liked and asked yourself “Why don’t my pictures look like that?” this should be the next photo book you read. Divided into chapters like Shooting People Like a Pro and Shooting Landscapes Like a Pro, among others, each page features a single concept with step by step directions for getting the shot. Don’t have enough money to buy a diffuser to soften harsh window light? Try a frosted shower curtain. Want to shoot on a dreary day? Check the page on What to Shoot In Bad Weather.

The author says “That’s what this book is all about: you and I out shooting where I answer questions, give you advice and share the secrets I’ve learned just like I would with a friend—without all the technical explanations and techie photo speak.” This is a book on which button to push, which setting to use, and when to use it.

The tips in these books are directed primarily at digital SLR owners, but point-and-shoot photographers will find plenty of useful information to improve their photos.

1 comment:

John Crippen said...

I've just release 2 new photography books that should be listed on Amazon.com by mid July. I was wondering if you'd be interested in talking a peek at them. There's a bookstore link on my website about them, including the ISBN.
One is on Digital Animal Photography and the other is Photography of the California Central Coast.