Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Best Books of 2008: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

It's that time of year again, and your friendly neighborhood librarians are eager to tell you about the best books of 2008. Here is David with a review of his favorite book of the year.

Usually, one has to give some thought to a choice for Best books of 2008 selection. This one took all of 4 or 5 seconds at most. Like an unexpected inheritance from an unknown relative, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson fell into my reading lap. Mysteries set in Sweden with an unusual cover don't usually grab me at first glance and there lies the allure.

A multi-layered, complex plot revolves around the unsolved disappearance of a member of a wealthy industrial family some 40 years ago, with aspects of a locked room mystery [in this case a water-locked island], and features a pair of intriguing protagonists. Larsson's compelling book is not a fast read; it slowly peels back, layer by layer, drawing you into a fascinating story to be enjoyed word by word.

Larsson, who died of a heart attack in 2004 just prior to this book being published in Sweden, has enjoyed amazing popularity in Europe with this book and the two sequels that he had written prior to his death. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has most deservedly been on the American best seller lists this fall, translating his success worldwide.

Truly, if I had all of the books that I read in 2008 in front of me, this would be the book that I'd select and hand to you and say, read this, trust me, just read this book. Unexpected to read, unpredictable in the storytelling, and just flat-out fabulous, this is THE BOOK for mystery lovers [and all others]. I guarantee that I will be eagerly awaiting Larsson's other two books to be published in the United States.

To quote a bookseller, "I just wanted to wallow in the words." True, oh so true, do yourself a favor and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

1 comment:

Fran Z. said...

A great read! Lots of plot twists and turns, interesting characters and a surprise ending. I was really saddened to hear that the author died but I'm looking forward to reading his other books. Mystery fans won't be disappointed.