Friday, December 26, 2008

Best Books of 2008: Mental Floss History of the World

It's that time of year again, and your friendly neighborhood librarians are eager to tell you about the best books of 2008. Here is Denise with a review of her favorite book of the year.

I’m really trying not to read the Mental Floss History of the World because I bought it for a friend, but I can’t put it down and I’m afraid I’m going to drool on it or crack it open too much and then wouldn’t I be crossing over into the Re-Gifting Zone? I can’t wait for a library copy, so I guess I’m going to have to buy it for myself because it’s too fascinating and hilarious. These guys (Erik Sass & Steve Wiegand) should be writing text books to lure young people into the delights of history. It should be required reading for the world so that we stop making the same stupid mistakes. My only complaint is that the type is so small I have to take off my glasses and stick my face in it to read it and there you see the drool danger -- multiplied by 432 pages. But it’s so worth that anxiety…

Editor's Note: This book is currently on order, so make a note of it and check back with us later. In the meantime, please visit our Northwest Branch to read the Mental Floss magazine.

No comments: