Friday, January 16, 2009

What We're Reading: Dewey

First, I suppose I must admit that I am not a cat person. It's not that I don't like them, I just didn't grow up with them. I daily check I Can Has Cheezburger, the site that pairs adorable and funny photos of cats with misspelled captions. Naturally I think they're cute, and I love to cautiously pet an affectionate cat. I'm just uncertain about their ways, and I am nervous about the claws being unsheathed.

That being said, Dewey Readmore Books is no ordinary cat. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World is the story of a particularly personable feline who made the Spencer Public Library his home after being stuffed into the book drop as a kitten. Gradually, he became a sort of ambassador to this Iowa town and his fame stretched the world over. His love healed many a broken heart. I was a little uncertain about the book at the beginning, honestly - many times I thought to myself, "Oh, that sounds sweet. I guess you had to be there." However, I was drawn in by librarian Vicki Myron's personal story, her descriptions of library life (I suppose I am a little vain...) and the Midwest landscape around her. It's her own response to Dewey that is so touching. If you've ever had a pet of your own, you'll understand exactly her joy and sorrow.

Meryl Streep is set to star in the upcoming movie adaptation, so hurry to the library and pick up the book today. Or, when it's available. You know what I mean - it is a bestseller! Check the link to the catalog - we have copies available in hardcover, large print, and CD audiobook.

No comments: