Monday, May 11, 2009

What We're Reading - The Caryatids by Bruce Sterling.

First off, I will be upfront, I rarely read Science Fiction, but upon reading the, ahem [sorry couldn't help it], "sterling" review of Bruce Sterling's new novel The Caryatids [click to read the review], I decided to read something different.

In many ways I have to agree with Greg Bear's review; I found The Caryatids full of vivid, imaginative storytelling as he paints a post ecological disaster world and humanity's attempts at salvaging the damage done. The four sisters involved in the three main sections are complex in nature and their intertwining relationships lead to some fascinating reading, and yes, Sterling's portrayal of Los Angeles is particularly delicious for us LA area residents to enjoy.

That said, I must take exception with the review, in that I find The Caryatids to be a story in search of an ending. Each main section stands well and good on it's own, but to me, Sterling's effort didn't lead to an ending and just slapped a quick summation to conclude his story. Shall I mention some major unexplained cliff hangers that he dangles in front of the reader? Sorry, but I was expecting the three sections to lead to something a bit more cohesive in intent. So in the end, if you are intrigued enough, do read The Caryatids and I will let you decide for yourself if vivid and imaginative storytelling without a worthwhile conclusion justifies your time or am I missing the point?!?

Now I have to figure out if I want to venture back into the Science Fiction genre for something a bit more satisfying, but I would love to hear back from anyone who has read or reads this book for their views and meanwhile I am going off to buy property in Norwalk [you'll have to read the book to understand that comment...hehehe]

No comments: