Thursday, January 14, 2010

What We're Reading: The Day of the Triffids

It's my New Year's resolution to broaden my reading horizons, which tend to focus narrowly on nonfiction. That means cautiously putting my toe in the pool of genre fiction. Since I've been on an older movie sci-fi kick as of late, I thought classic sci-fi would be a good place to start.

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham is somewhat slow-paced and leisurely, but threatening all the same. It seems that many tragedies befall London all at once, as they do the entire world, presumably. Most are stricken with blindness, and then there are the triffids: mobile plants that are taking advantage of their suddenly vulnerable prey. There is the question - what is moral and right when society falls apart? Can we conduct ourselves the same, or is it folly to do so? Part philosophy, part horror, this 1951 sci-fi novel is good for those who like to reflect on the deeper meanings of life, death, and war, and appreciate a book that does not tie up all the loose ends.

2 comments:

Jubb3500 said...

Hi Erin,

Joe Pearson here. I am the director/producer of "War of the Worlds: Goliath" and will be discussing the movie at the upcoming Anime Fest this Saturday.

I like your taste in books. "Day of the Triffids" and "I am Legend' are SF classics.

Might I also recommend these SF classics from the 50's and 60's. All were big influences on me and very good reads.

"Stars My Destination" Alfred Bester
"Stand on Zanzibar" John Brunner
"Canticle for Leibowitz" Walter Miller
"Stranger in a Strange Land" Robert Heinlein
"S is for Space" Ray Bradbury
"City" Clifford Simak
"Nova" Samuel Delany

Well, enjoy.

Joe

Erin said...

Thanks Joe! I appreciate the advice - I will definitely look back on your list throughout the year. I am quite enjoying my time catching up on sci-fi classics - it is long overdue.

Erin