Saturday, February 20, 2010

What We're Reading: Planet of the Apes

I've been on a Planet of the Apes kick as of late, watching all the original films, and I thought it would be interesting to read the novel by Pierre Boulle. I am glad I did, because it differs in many respects from the film adaptation. I am in the midst of watching the making of documentary I have at home, and it seems that budget constraints kept them from making the ape society as technologically advanced as it was in the book. Also, some science fiction elements were simplified or removed from the film version so it would be more palatable for audiences. I would hate to ruin the fun of discovering the differences yourself, which include an entirely different protagonist, so I would highly recommend you spend a weekend watching the movie and reading the novel. The big reveal at the end is shocking and tragic in both cases, but in slightly different ways.

No comments: