Thursday, May 20, 2010

What We're Listening to - The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

I love having stories read to me. So I decided to switch from too much radio news to Books on CD, much better for my addled brain. One of my recent “listens” was Kathryn Stockett’s, THE HELP. It is all at the same time, a story of the bitter beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement, family love, lost friendships, and, wonderfully, new found friends. There are four readers, each taking on multiple voices. Because of their expertise, I felt as if I was sitting in a room with all of the characters, going through all of their pain, fear, and hope. There is humor too. I’ll never forget Minny’s infamous cake, or Skeeter’s risky toilet adventure. Lucky for them Aibileen was around. I was sad when this story ended. I miss Minny, Aibileen, and Skeeter. Maybe there will be a sequel. I hear there’s a movie in the works!




Thanks to Elizabeth for the review!

No comments: