Thursday, July 29, 2010

What We're Listening To - Heist Society.

I will be the first to admit that I have a weakness for a good heist/caper story. I love the planning, the characters with specialized talents and colorful personalities, the problems that must be overcome, the inevitably unpredictable plot twists and complications. If you need some audio heist in your life, you will not do better than Angela Dawe's reading of Heist Society by Ally Carter.

First, the story--which was mentioned earlier on our blog [here]. I would agree with everything said, except that I didn't have the same sense of confusion about sorting out the characters and Kat's back story. To me it made sense.

What I will highlight here is what a wonderful reading of the book Heist Society receives. Angela Dawe does a superb job creating distinct voices for each and every character, male and female, old, and teen age alike and tosses in a number of European accents on top. A great piece of acting/reading that compliments and enhances the fun breezy and twisty nature of the story. You couldn't do better for some light summer entertainment than Heist Society. I hope that Ally Carter does indeed plan more adventures for Kat and her young crew of thieves. If she writes more, I'll be in line to read them...and if Angela Dawe does the reading for future audiobooks, well, I just quite likely will wait and seek out the audiobook version.

A caper well executed by author and reader alike!

No comments: