Saturday, January 29, 2011

Congratulations + What We're Reading

When I started the Burbank Library Blog many moons ago, I could not have known that it would make it to 1000 posts. I have checked in periodically after my departure, and I am always enamored with the quantity and quality of the book reviews. Thanks to the library staff for continuing the tradition and offering content that is well written, humorous, and thoughtful.

While I am settled now in my hometown of Phoenix, I miss seeing all the familiar faces - staff and patrons alike - and I hope life is going well for all of you. Maybe one of these days I will make it back for a visit!

I'm in the midst of reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand, and so far it's absolutely sublime. Due to the critical accolades, I assume it will continue on this way. I adore books like this that make war stories (of which I am not particularly fond), more palatable and even enjoyable. (See also: Candy Bombers: The Untold Story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour.) It's one part history, one part survival story on the open seas (though I haven't gotten to that part yet, other than the gripping preface).

In the fiction category, I quite enjoyed Percival's Planet by Michael Byers. While the novel is centered on the search for the elusive Planet X (Pluto) in the 1920s/30s, there are so many fascinating characters who also converge on the town of Flagstaff, Arizona, for reasons entirely their own (including paleontology, so this is a good fit for science buffs in addition to historical fiction fans.) Plus, if you decry the decision to strip Pluto of its status as a proper planet, now you can read a lovely novel that gives the dwarf its due.

Oh, and why hasn't anyone ordered Yellow Dirt: An American Story of a Poisoned Land and a People Betrayed by Judy Pasternak? Don't make me hack in there and spend your money. I don't happen to remember the necessary passwords, but I have all weekend to try.

1 comment:

Duedsml said...

Hello and welcome back!, well at least on the blog. We will carry on your good efforts with the blog.