Tuesday, July 17, 2012

People's Choice 2012: Adults reading YA books



Here are more book reviews from people participating in Burbank READS Into the Night. These are books written for young adults (teens), that some of our adult readers have decided to check out for themselves! Beginning, of course, with the biggest thing since Twilight...

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
I know all the kids (at least the middle school students) are reading this series; however, it is not just for kids!!! I was completely hooked during the first chapter. To imagine our world completely controlled by a selected (not elected) group and forced to participate in the killing of others, as long as you are between the ages of 12 to 18. Now that I have completed the book I might go see the movie; however, I do know I must complete the series!!!!
Recommended by Deborah C.


Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green
John Green is an eloquent teen writer and I highly recommend all his books to those interested in YA literature. This one comes alive with memorable characters that are both sad and hopeful.
Recommended by Kate A.


Grave Mercy, by Robin LaFevers
In 15th-century Brittany, a young girl escapes a forced marriage by running away to a convent devoted to the god/saint of death. She is trained as an assassin and gets entangled in the political struggles of the time. A good read.
Recommended by Dianne B.


The Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan,
by John Flanagan
When I first picked up this book, I was intrigued to see what the story was about. Once I started reading it, I found that I could not put it down. The descriptions of the realm and the training that the apprentices had to endure were so vivid that I felt I was there as well. This is an excellent story about a young man named Will, who feels that his destiny was chosen for him, but as time goes on, he learns that he was the actual chooser of his own destiny. He forms a friendship with his master teacher, Halt, with whom he finds a mutual respect that can only come from trials and tribulations. There are more books in this series and I can't wait to get started on book two.
Recommended by Jessica D.

Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli
Stargirl is a very interesting story about how powerful it feels to fit in during the high school years. It is a story about a young and free-spirited girl named Stargirl, who is what unpopularity stands for, and nobody wants to be around her, until her gentle spirit grabs hold of this sleepy town, whether they want it to or not. They find themselves basking in the energy that Stargirl brings to everything and to everyone she meets. This is actually a very sad story, and made me question what I would do if I was in high school and we had our very own "Stargirl."
Recommended by Jessica D.
 
Something Wicked This Way Comes,
by Ray Bradbury
This is the story of Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show. This circus appears mysteriously in a small Midwestern town long after the normal season, and brings with it the mysterious Mr. Dark, the Dust Witch, and a strange carousel that appears to have extraordinary powers over life and death. As two young boys explore the carnival, they will expose the secrets of the Autumn People, but doing so may cost them their very souls. With descriptions that are almost lyrical and a powerful story of love and redemption, Something Wicked This Way Comes is quite possibly Bradbury’s greatest work.
Recommended by Daryl M.

It's Kind of a Funny Story, by Ned Vizzini
This book has been on my reading list for quite a while now, yet I never actually picked it up until my friend lent it to me. Now, once a friend lends me a book I feel obliged to read it immediately, so I did. Craig, a teen, bombarded with work at his new prestigious high school, becomes depressed. He later tries killing himself and ends up in the hospital's psychiatric ward. The writing is fairly easy to get through, but very witty. As a narrator, Craig remains funny for a man who's depressed, and furthermore is insightful. His take on life makes readers think of their own lives and even inspires them in the end.
Recommended by Janelle S.
 
World War Z, by Max Brooks
I maintain that Zombies are one of the scariest things to come out of the horror genre, ever. If you don't believe me, read World War Z. As you read the interviews between the author and the people he meets in the wake of a worldwide Zombie breakout, you get such indepth and plausible stories of terror, action and survival that you will actually start believing that the dead will be shuffling past any day now. But this isn't just a spine-chiller, there are stories of human sacrifice, relationships, and just pure, unadulterated humanity that it makes it all the more believable. Even if this is a fiction book, it inspires me that mankind might actually react so well to something so devastating.
Recommended by Tiffany R.

To read more reviews of young adult fiction, by the teens as well as by our teen librarians, go to our teen blog, YAthink?

No comments: