Friday, November 16, 2012

Congratulations to R.A. Dickey!

Back in July, I had recommended Wherever I Wind Up, by New York Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey, as a terrific read. I admired the determination he showed on his life's journey to finally making it as a starting pitcher in Major League Baseball at the age of 37. After reading the book, one cannot help but become a fan, and I closely followed his success on the mound this year. All-Star game starter, 20-game winner and last night I saw in the news that he also won baseball's top pitching award for this season, the Cy Young Award. The Cy Young is just the cherry on top of an almost storybook season.

So, congratulations to R.A. Dickey! Long may your fluttering knuckleball frustrate hitters. You readers out there consider adding Wherever I Wind Up to your to-read list, and you'll see why baseball fans are so happy about his award-winning season. Couldn't happen to a better guy. From the literary side of things, R.A. Dickey will continue to expand his writing career with a recently announced three-book deal to pen children's books!

No comments: