Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Best of 2012: Children's Nonfiction

One of the many items [old and new] enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2012, recommended for your consideration:

I really loved the book This is New York, written and illustrated by Miroslav Sasek.

He created many children's travel guides to many cities, starting in the 1950s. His simple writing grew to include a whole array of books:

This is Paris
This is Australia
This is Israel
This is San Francisco
This is Washington D.C.
and so on...for 18 cities.

Sasek captures the feel, the spirit of adventure in that particular city, and conveys it in a simple, amusing verse coupled with beautiful, classic artwork. There's just something about his books that is so enjoyable.

I wish I had read these as a child, but it is never too late. I am enjoying them now as an adult, and it has inspired me to maybe one day do a little sketching, something that I have wanted to do for a long time.

Donna B.,Children's Librarian

No comments: