Monday, December 31, 2012

The Best of 2012: For all ages

A few of the many items [old and new] enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2012, recommended for your consideration:

I just finished reading Chasing Aphrodite: The Hunt for Looted Antiquities at the World's Richest Museum, by Jason Felch and Ralph Frammolino. I found the book fascinating: Curators and organized crime were in cahoots to bring the public looted antiquities and not thinking much about it until the Italian government decided to crack down. I am a person who knew very little about the curator's world, and this book was enlightening and easy to read.

Learning to Swim is a fast-paced mystery by Sara Henry. A young woman dives into Lake Champlain to save a boy who fell (or was thrown?) off the back of a ferry boat. What happened to him that brought him to this moment? It's a thrilling read that I found hard to put down.

In children's books, I would like to recommend Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons, by Eric Litwin. I read it for storytime at Buena Vista, and the words popped so much (just like Pete's buttons) that some of the children were repeating them along with me.


I also read a young adult novel called A Girl Named Digit, by Annabel Monaghan. This is a fun, fast-paced, dangerous adventure set in Santa Monica, involving a terrorist plot and an FBI agent (but it ends well).

Joanne R., Librarian

No comments: