Saturday, January 11, 2014

Best of 2013: An old favorite newly discovered


One of the many items enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2013, recommended for your consideration:

On the Road, by Jack Kerouac

This is a book that I have always wanted to read and am glad I did. Ready for a journey? Want to take a wild ride? Get ready for the ride of your life! You will see America through the eyes of a couple of wild 20-year-old males with a zest for life. You will live and breathe America as it was in the late 1940s and will be quite surprised at just how much this country has changed. There is drama and sadness, happiness and insanity, you will be hanging on the edge of your "reading" seat. There are parts of this book where I truly felt like a fly on the wall, which was so exciting! There were times where I was so thankful that I wasn't actually there in that car with "them" on that road!

If I had daughters in this world and I knew Dean Moriarty, I would keep them safely tucked away from his frenzied grasp. There were amazing moments in this story in which friendship and compassion and a natural understanding between two young men were astounding. There was also a kind of natural forgiveness of human nature that really made sense to me and I respected on multiple levels of my own life.

From hitchiking and hanging on for dear life on the back of an open flatback truck to renting "travel bureau" cars and getting to travel down to Mexico to the Tropic of Cancer, seeing the countryside and the people and feeling what the characters felt, it was an amazing experience.

Get on the road and you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed by Victoria G., library clerk

No comments: