Thursday, July 24, 2014

What we're reading: Rowling

I stopped by the bookstore the other day to pick up some gift cards for summer reading prizes, and couldn't resist--I bought The Silkworm. I knew that if I waited to check out a copy from the library, it would be a long wait behind other eager patrons, so I reasoned that I'd buy it, read it, and then just donate my copy so others would have a shorter waiting period! I don't know if I can give it up just yet, though, because...

After my debacle with The Casual Vacancy (yes, I know some people thought it was brilliant, but I disliked it and swore that if this was the aftermath to the Potter legacy then I was done!), I was really hesitant to try another, but private investigator Cormoran Strike completely won me over in The Cuckoo's Calling (reviewed here).  I really liked book one, waited with great anticipation for this one, and...

"Robert Galbraith" pulls off another great mystery! I finished it and almost immediately wanted to read it again. The dynamic between Cormoran Strike and girl Friday Robin continues to grow and change, while their individual relationships shift; the missing person case morphs into something more deadly (and strange); the setting in the world of publishing was intriguing (and revealing); and I didn't guess the solution until the author gave it away. A really satisfying continuation, and...

I hear there are going to be five more books--goodie!


No comments: