Thursday, October 09, 2014

What we're reading: The next in the series


I've been catching up on mystery series as the authors publish their next book. It's hard when you start out liking someone's books, and you have five or six to read in the series (such riches), and then you catch up and you wait...and wait...and wait.


I made the anticipation even more excruciating this year by following a couple of authors on Facebook, and I'm seriously thinking of unfollowing them (ah, the new language of social media), simply because the build-up was too much. For instance...

I feel like I've been waiting forever for Louise Penny's latest in her Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, because I've been reading about her thoughts, progress, and process on Facebook for so long. So when I read The Long Way Home, I liked it a lot, as I have liked all of Louise Penny's books, but I didn't love it as much as I have loved a few of them. Perhaps I shouldn't have reread the last one (How the Light Gets In) to refresh my memory in anticipation of this one, because that one was SO good (and so breathlessly exciting) that it would eclipse anything thereafter.

This one was a solid effort; but perhaps the fact that Gamache is now retired and there isn't quite the level of danger and suspense involved made a difference; or perhaps it was because it was about a personal friend (Clara Morrow's husband Peter is missing) rather than an unknown quantity in terms of the mystery to be solved. I can't exactly say what it was--her writing is, as usual, evocative, the relationships are still vital…maybe it was just the loooong build-up. Perhaps I will just anticipate like a regular person (i.e., away from social media) from now on!



The next in a series for which I was jonesing was To Dwell in Darkness, by Deborah Crombie, the books starring married London detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jones. I pre-ordered the Kindle version and read it the minute it arrived, and now...I wait again! This one had Duncan to the fore (Crombie alternates Duncan and Gemma as protagonists in her series). There's an explosion and a death in St. Pancras train station, and no one can decide whether it's accidental, personal, or terrorist in origin.


The usual cast is all present, and I love the intertwined lives of all the regulars, as well as the new people Crombie is introducing with Duncan's move away from Scotland Yard to a station in Camden. The mystery was riveting, and I had no suspicion of who the killer could be until well towards the last page. Another good one!

No comments: