Saturday, January 03, 2015

Best of 2014: Audio Book



One of the many items [old and new] enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2014, recommended for your consideration:



An audiobook that I thoroughly enjoyed in 2014 was One Plus One, by JoJo Moyes. I had never read anything by this author, but the plot sounded funny and I was drawn to the fact that it is read by multiple voice actors. I really enjoy when an audiobook uses more than one actor, and this was read by four! They are all wonderful British actors: Elizabeth Bower, Ben Elliot, Nicola Stanton, and Steven France. Each actor tells the story from a different character’s point of view so that the story is unfolding from their different perspectives. The genre would best be described as domestic fiction. There are elements of romance, but the story is really about a frazzled, struggling single mom who is doing everything in her power to take care of her family. Her stress was palpable! It becomes a road trip novel with many a misadventure as the single mom, Jess, tries to get her math prodigy daughter to a Maths competition in Scotland. There are many sub plots throughout, and I found I could hardly wait to get back in my car each day to continue on with these richly drawn characters who came to be special to me. It has a good dose of humor throughout. I laughed and I cried. I highly recommend this audiobook.

Chosen by Diane M., Technical Services clerk



No comments: