Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Best of 2015: Mystery

One of the many items [old and new] enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2015, recommended for your consideration:


Reviewed by Aunt Agatha,
Death in the Stacks mystery blogger




If you love libraries as I do, Checked Out is one of the best cozies I've read in 2015. It's the 14th outing of Elaine Viets's "Dead-End Job" series featuring Helen Hawthorne. The first line of the book gives you a clue to the madcap adventure to come:
"I need your help," Elizabeth Cateman Kinglsey said. "My late father misplaced a million dollars in a library book. I want it back."
As Helen goes undercover as a library volunteer to find the missing money and solve the case, her husband Phil risks seriously sun-damaged skin in order to track down a stolen necklace and golf cart for another wealthy client. This is a fast-paced read full of laughs and wacky characters, all taking place in the tropical south Florida setting.

Fans of Viets's series, will really enjoy this one. For some reason I hadn't read any of her books before, but picked this one up because of the library angle. After working in a library for most of my life, I have to say that Viets really is dead-on when it comes to library life. As she does for all her Dead-End Job novels, Elaine got some practical experience on the job. She volunteered at her local library as part of her research for Checked Out.

Editor's note: Apparently the library owns books #6 through #14 of this series.


No comments: