Thursday, January 21, 2016

Best of 2015: Tidying

One of the many items [old and new] enjoyed by Burbank Public Library staff during 2015, recommended for your consideration:



Reviewed by Jen U.,
Reference Librarian



My favorite book of 2015 was a petite, unassuming one with a delightfully simple cover and an intriguing title – at least, it was to me when I came across it. (Full disclosure: I’ve always loved cleaning and organizing.) Catalogued under “Housekeeping” and “Home economics,” it has indeed helped me de-clutter my closet and bookcases. It is also so much more than these classifications imply, and gave me far more food for thought than I had ever imagined it would. You could say it has *sparked* my curiosity about materialism and minimalism. It has made me stop and think about the things that bring me joy – both material and immaterial. What’s more, it has profoundly changed the way I view my surroundings. Yes, I am talking about The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo.

This book was originally released in 2014; I read this in February of 2015 and actually broke down and purchased a copy so I could occasionally re-read it and lend it to family and friends. I’m actually re-reading it right now. In fact, the library’s 11 copies are currently either checked out or on hold for a patron. Point being, there is a reason that this book is in such high demand and has topped – and remains on – bestseller lists. It resonates with people, packs a punch belied by its small stature, and is a bit of literary magic itself.




This review is for the print title, but it is also available at Burbank Public Library as an audio book and in e-book format.



No comments: