Monday, January 25, 2016

If you liked Gone Girl...

Jeff W., Reference Librarian, summarizes his 2015 reading in a specific kind of way…it's not exactly a "best of" list; we'll just let it speak for itself.


Did you like Gone Girl? Me too! Hey, remember how after Gone Girl was such a major hit, those big publishing companies back East started cranking out books and saying, “If You Liked Gone Girl, You’ll Love Some Other Book!” so you read some of them?
Me too!

Here’s my 2015 Fake Gone Girl Wrap Up!




Dark Places and Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn

First thing I did after finishing Gone Girl was read all the other books by Gillian Flynn. Dark Places and Sharp Objects were pretty good. Dark Places even got made into a movie starring Charlize Theron or somebody like that. But were these books Gone Girl? No, they were not! Pretty good, though!

The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train was super-marketed like it was another Gone Girl, but it's not really in the same league. In Gone Girl, the facts are cleverly! exquisitely! delightfully! meted out in a satisfyingly dramatic fashion! The Girl on the Train, on the other hand, simply withholds information in a way that isn't fun and seems poor-sport-ish and petty and denotes a certain hostility the writer has for the reader. It totally denotes it! I’m like, Why are you mad at me? I'm reading your stupid book!

The Good Girl, by Mary Kubica

But even The Girl on the Train is way better than The Good Girl! This one's the worst! So boring. It tries to do that multiple-point-of-view thing that Gone Girl does, but you know what? Who cares? If this is the Good Girl, I'd hate to run into the Boring Girl!

The Silent Wife, by A.S.A. Harrison

Then somebody told me I should try The Silent Wife, by A.S.A. Harrison. The first thing I thought was: That’s so many initials for somebody’s name. What is she, a boat? Anyway, I kind of liked The Silent Wife, but most people didn’t. It’s about some lady who’s married to some dude … or is she? I sometimes thought the writer was kind of joking around, having fun with clichés—“exploring common tropes,” as we used to say back East—which actually made it a more interesting read, though somebody just told me that I’m giving the author too much credit.

I can kind of see why somebody would think of Gone Girl when reading this book … The Silent (but Deadly) Wife, you know what I mean? Overall, the book is okay. But is it Gone Girl? No way!


Editor's note: Recommendations from NoveList for Gone Girl fans also include:

The Kind Worth Killing, by Peter Swanson
Confessions, by Kanae Minato
Before I Go to Sleep, by S. J. Watson
We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart
The Breaker, by Minette Walters

Perhaps Jeff will have better luck with one of these...but perhaps not: Having read We Were Liars, I can tell you that it's good…but is it Gone Girl? Hmmm. I have to say...

no way!


1 comment:

Janae said...

This wrap up made me laugh out loud! :)