Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Best of 2016: Posthumous Fiction








Reviewed by Laura B.,
Reference
One of my favorite authors, Maeve Binchy, died in July of 2012. Her novels were special because they left you wanting to know more about all the people in them. Several of her books have been turned into films. Although each of her books was free-standing, the characters in one novel might pop up in a minor role or be referenced in another, which gave them all further richness. I always looked forward to her latest release, so it was crushing to hear of her passing and know there wouldn’t be any more. Therefore, I was very excited when her husband decided to publish several of her short stories in A Few of the Girls: Stories.

I am also a big fan of audio books, so I listened to this in my car. Short stories are perfect for listening, and this collection of Irish stories is read by four different narrators. You’ll find A Few of the Girls to be full of the charm and humor you’ve come to expect from this beloved author.

Editor's note: This is featured here in its audio book version, but BPL also owns the book, in regular fiction and large print.




No comments: