Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Best of 2016: Mysteries






Reviewed by Melliott,
teen librarian




Since I have already reviewed these books here on the blog, I will keep comments brief and provide a link to the original reviews. Here are my five-star mysteries of 2016:

The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6),
by Tana French

I am never disappointed by Tana French. If you like a detailed, literary approach to mystery (and enjoy learning more about the specifically Irish experience), she's your writer too.

A Great Reckoning, by Louise Penny

This series has gotten stronger and more beguiling with every book that Penny writes. I wish that I could find the little town of Three Pines (somewhere about an hour outside of Montreal), settle in at the bistro with its delectable menu and comforting hot beverages, and have the opportunity to make friends with all the interesting people who live there. Except, maybe, for Ruth.

A Banquet of Consequences, by Elizabeth George

After what I considered a few somewhat lackluster volumes, George is back on her game with this one. It's intricate and suspenseful, and also puts some meat on the bones of heretofore peripheral characters. A good one.

When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr #11),
by C. S. Harris

No one else that I know of is keeping alive the Regency mystery the way Harris has done in this series. This one is particularly enlightening as to Sebastian's past, Hero's character, and an interesting chapter in English history. I also liked that the murder victim was a sketch artist (although I would have liked it better if someone else had been the victim and she had lived to draw some more!).



As you can see from this list, I am a fan of a particular kind of mystery--sequential, clever, literary, and apparently set on my family's continent of origin (the British Isles)! If all those things appeal to you, try one or more of these series.


No comments: